Monday, February 25, 2019

Music Festival: More Character, Less Dance

Last night was the final night for me to attend the music festival held annually in our town.  My last two posts have been about the prior nights.  Last night was the Musical Theatre section, solos and groups.  My granddaughter's entry was I Feel Pretty from West Side Story, and she wore a costume that was a perfect replica of the one in the movie, yellow dress with a red apron.

Before her class, there was one entry that stood out in a class of people younger than my granddaughter.  That was a girl from the dance studio my granddaughter attends.  It was called Daryl Is a Boy (Who Lives in my Closet) and it was very funny. 

As my granddaughter's class began, she was the second person to perform.  She danced her heart out and did a beautiful  job, but to my untrained eye, I thought there was more dance than character.  As the class went on, one number in particular brought loud laughter from the audience, that was a number called I Really Really Love You (Stalker Song).   Now I never thought I would ever find a song about a stalker funny as I had one very bad experience in my younger years, but this number was comedic and it was hilarious.

After a very long night,  it was time for the adjudications and awards.  But the adjudicator said something that would let most of the people in my granddaughter's class out of the running for awards.  That was, he was more interested in character than he was in dance, so it was the character performances that he placed first, second and third.  I guess I understand his point but it was a sad moment for those young people who had danced their best.

After the performances were over, I waited downstairs for my granddaughter to come out.  And I presented her with roses, red with a yellow center, the same color as her dress.  And I told her that   she did a great job, and that I was so proud of her.  I gave her a hug and then came home.

There is still Jazz groups tonight, but I will not be attending.  Over the last 3 days I have had little to eat or drink because I have a medical condition and I didn't want it to interrupt my watching the performances.  It will be good to get back to normal eating.

_______________________________
vcg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..