Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Daily Living: Lessons From the Lake

Lessons From the Lake -  written by me in July, 2009

Today I spent a good deal of time sitting on the deck outside our motel room watching the little events taking place around me.

This morning there were some boys fishing off the floating dock. Their dog, a Labrador retriever, had jumped off the dock and was swimming around having fun, but then it became clear that he was trying to find a way back onto the dock without any success. The owner was calling him, and finally he swam towards one of the boys who grabbed his collar and pulled him to safety on the dock.

That reminded me of the unbeliever in the world, having a good time, and then they come to the end of themselves. The owner on the dock was someone preaching the gospel, repent! Come to the Lord Jesus. Finally the unbeliever believes, and by grace through faith he is saved..

Watching the sky was interesting also. In the Cariboo they say if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will change. Well, that was true today. Cloudy, then sunny, then very dark clouds, then sunny again. It was like that all day long. This reminds me of the Christian walk. Sometimes everything is going very smoothly, then trials come, and all a believer can do is give their trial to the Lord and trust in Him. Soon in one way or another, the trial will be over, and things will be "sunny" again.

Early this morning I went down to the lake to watch the little fish in the clarity of the water near the shore. But something happened during the day. Little by little I could see tiny flecks of green on the surface and below the surface. First here and there, and by the end of the day, it was a murky mess. The green going down to the depths, and the surface with so much green it looked like an oil spill. But it is not. There are reeds across the lake, and it seems that they are shedding. It didn't take long to change the whole look of the lake close-up.

All day I have been watching people having fun, playing games, fishing, without a clue that we are in the end times, and that things are going to get very bad. The green was a picture to me of the dark times coming in, until the whole world will know the judgment of God.

And finally, something for me.. I am allergic to bees and wasps, and thankfully have not seen but one wasp since we have been here. There have been bees, but gathering pollen on the flowers. This afternoon, as I sat on my deck chair, a bee landed right on my upper arm, hesitated, and then flew away.. This reminded me of the devil going about, seeking whom he may devour. But the Lord is in control, and He protected me from being stung.


The piece above was written in July 2009 when we were vacationing at McLeese Lake in B.C.'s Cariboo..   so much has changed since that time, but I am thankful that the Lord is in control.

Below is my photo of the storm lighting and the little dock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..