Saturday, February 2, 2019

Daily Bible Reading: John 10: The Good Shepherd

For Christians, the gospel of John, chapter 10 is surely one of the most comforting and encouraging chapters in the bible for here we have the security of the believer.  Here also are Jew and Gentile coming together into one fold.  And here we have proof positive that the Lord Jesus lay down his life for his sheep, those that are and will be his.

In chapter 8 and chapter 9 Jesus presented himself to be the "light of the world" and he healed a man born blind.  After the healing Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees and he continued to do so as chapter 10 begins.  And as Jesus often did, he begins this new teaching with a parable, which is putting a great truth into things that happen to everyone.  In this case Jesus spoke of the shepherd and his sheep and of those who did not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbed up some other way, this person is a thief and a robber. But the person who entered by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.  The sheep heard the voice of the shepherd because the shepherd called them by name and led them out of the sheepfold.  The sheep followed him because they knew his voice.  They would not follow a stranger.

Those who heard the parable did not understand what Jesus was saying to them.

Then Jesus began his great teaching:

V7 ...verily, verily (truly, truly) I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.  (the sheep arehis own, those given him by the Father, those who will be saved by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus)
V8 "All that ..came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them". As Jesus said in a previous chapter, "I am the light of the world".  The thieves and robbers are those who taught that the people should follow the law rather than follow Jesus.
V9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture."  Jesus is the only way to salvation.   In John 14:6 we have these words: "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
V11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."  This verse foretells Christ's death on the cross, shedding his precious blood and taking upon himself the penalty for sin for his sheep, for all those who would be saved.  Many people believe that Jesus died for all people, but this verse clearly states that Jesus would give his life for the sheep, for those who belong to his flock.


V14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
 V15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.  Jesus repeats again that he will die for his sheep.

Now Jesus takes the subject of his sheep further, to include others, the Gentiles (who are not of this fold)
V16 "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice, and there shall be one fold and one shepherd"   As it says in Galatians 3:28 "there is neither Jew nor Greek (Gentile), there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."  This was a statement that must have sent shock waves through the Pharisees that were listening to Jesus.

In V17-18 Jesus introduces another great truth:  that of his resurrection:
"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This commandment have I received of my Father."

V19-21 These statements of Jesus created a division with some saying that he had a devil and was mad and so why should people listen to him while others said that these were not the words of a devil.  And then remembering that Jesus had healed the man born blind, they said "can a devil open the eyes of the blind?"

Those who were listening wanted Jesus to tell them plainly that he was the Christ, the promised Redeemer, but Jesus said  V25 "the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me."  He further told them that they were not of his sheep.

Jesus then gave these very comforting and encouraging words to all those who believe on Jesus, his sheep. V27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

V30" I and my Father are one."  With these words, the people who were listening to Jesus took up stones to stone him but he (V39) escaped out of their hand and went away beyond the Jordan River to the place where John the Baptist at first baptized, and there he abode.

V42 Many believed on Jesus there.
________________________________
vcg









No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..