Thursday, February 7, 2019

Daily Bible Reading: John 12:20-50 - Jesus Begins His Discourse

Much of this section of John 12, that want to see Jesus,  is Jesus speaking to his disciples.  I am posting highlights of what he said to them, but we start with a group of men who wanted to see Jesus:

V21-22 "and there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: the same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying Sir, we would see Jesus.  Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus."

In John chapter 10, Jesus speaking of himself as the Good Shepherd, tells of "other sheep" which would be brought into the fold.  In the verses above, we have Greeks (Gentiles) seeking Jesus.  These are an example of the "other sheep".  Those in authority wanted to kill Jesus, but here we have Gentiles seeking him.


V23-36.  Here we have Jesus beginning his discourse saying  "the hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.....if any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be:..Father glorify thy name.  Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.  The people therefore....said it thundered: others  said, An angel spake to him.  Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.  Now is the judgment of this world:.....and I, if I be lifted up from the earth will draw all men unto me.  This he said, signifying what death he should die."  The people wondered who the Son of man was..Jesus said, "while ye  have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light.  These things spake Jesus and departed and did hide himself from them."

Previously Jesus had said "mine hour has not yet come" speaking of his arrest, death, burial and resurrection.  But now he said "The hour is come.."  This is the last time that Jesus will speak to the people, from here he will only speak to his disciples.  God the Father spoke to Jesus but the people thought it was either thunder, or angels.  When Jesus said he would be lifted up, speaking of his death on the cross, the people had no clue what he was talking about.  Even though Jesus referred to himself as the Son of man, the people still wondered who the Son of man was.  and why?  V37 explains:

V37-50 "But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him...nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him,lest they should be put out of the synagogue: for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God...."  Jesus said "I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.......I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.  And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

These are hard words to accept, many who were witnesses of his miracles did not believe while  others, even those among the chief rulers, believed on Jesus.  Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea are examples.  But the chief rulers who believed kept it to themselves lest they be cast out of the synagogue.  It is a sadness to say that they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.  Previously Jesus has spoken of himself as the Light of the World, and he does so again.   This world is in darkness, men are lost sinners, but Jesus the light of the world is the way of salvation.  Jesus came to this earth to do the will of his Father God, and that he did to the end.

Next is John 13, beginning the discourse to the disciples that will last to chapter 17.

__________________________
vcg




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..