Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Security of the Believer



The Security of the Believer..

Can a believer ever be lost?  I was saved by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ in 1987, and attended a Brethren assembly until April of 2001 when a series of incidents led to almost all of the members leaving that church.  Until the day that I left that church and prayed for the Lord to show me the truth from His Holy Word, I was always afraid of losing my salvation.  It was after that prayer that the beautiful word "grace" became real to me, and I believed what Jonah said, "Salvation is of the Lord." (Jonah 2:9)  Our salvation is by grace, and not by anything we can do of our own will..  I finally saw that faith is a gift of God, and I knew that it wasn't me who kept myself, but the Lord who kept me..

What does the bible say about this change of heart?

Eze 11:19 "And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh":


Eze 36:26 "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh"


1 Peter 1:5 says that believers are "kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Since that time, I have seen many debates online concerning whether or not the believer is eternally secure, some of them becoming very volatile.  I do believe the bible teaches that believers are secure, and choose to let the bible speak:

First and foremost I am "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith...." (Hebrews 12:1)


What does the book of Philippians tell us regarding this beginning and ending?  Philippians 1:6 "Being "confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

There are no conditions in which the believer will be cast out. John 6:37 "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

The Lord Jesus Christ knows his own,  John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

1 John 5:13 reassures us "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life...."

Believers are sealed..  Ephesians 4:30 "And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

Believers are preserved by the Lord. "Psalm 28 "For the Lord loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off."

These are some of the verses that speak to the fact that the believer - the possessor, not the professor (one whose heart is changed, not one who merely has knowledge and has never repented) is secure and bound for eternity with the Lord.

These verses are also precious:  Romans 4:6-8 “Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, saying Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered (by the precious blood of Christ.).  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.”

I hope that this post will be a blessing to whomever might happen upon it..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..