Friday, November 1, 2019

Psalm 51: Create in Me a Clean Heart

Psalm 51 is to me one of the most beautiful of Psalms, and is another one from which a chorus was written.

This Psalm was written by David after his sin of adultery with Bathsheba was exposed by the prophet Nathan.  His words are ones of sorrow for his sin, and brokenness before the Lord God.

V1-4 "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.  Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest."

This is surely a contrite heart,  one which acknowledges his sin, and one which seeks restored fellowship with his Lord.  Even though David's sin was first against Bathsheba (for he saw her and sent his men to bring her to him) and secondly to her husband Uriah (whom he had placed in the front of a battle so he would be killed)  David's true sin was against God whose commandments David had broken.



Next are the verses from which a beautiful chorus was written:

V10-12 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.  Restore unto me the joy of thy salvatio; and uphold me with thy free spirit."

David prays for a cleansed heart and a renewed right spirit before God.  He prays that God will not cast him away from his presence, and not take his Holy Spirit.  When this Psalm was written, the Holy Spirit did not indwell in believers as it does now.  Then the Holy Spirit came upon those whom God had chosen and could be taken away as it was in the case of Saul.

David prays for the joy of salvation be restored to him, and notice that David says "thy salvation" because salvation is of the Lord.  David also prays for the Spirit to uphold him.  He is truly repentant of the sin he had committed.

Here is a link to a Youtube video of the Maranatha singers and Create in Me a Clean Heart.



V17 "the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

God wants those who are humbled before him in acknowledgment that they are lost sinners and who believe the gospel of salvation through the shed precious blood of Christ, his taking upon himself the penalty for sin,  and his death and resurrection.

___________________________
vcg







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..