Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Psalm 31: The LORD Our Rock

The Christian can never have peace by doing that which seems right in their own eyes. The Christian can only have peace by following the leading of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Psalm 31:1,3 speaks to this: “In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.”

V18 spoke to my heart in a time of difficult trial when all I could do was stay silent and trust the Lord to carry me through: “Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.” Even though I see myself as a sinner saved by grace, the Lord sees me as righteous through the precious blood of Christ which atoned for my sins. The following verses speak to this: Romans 4:5-8 “…to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness even as David also describeth the bessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.” Those verses bring peace.

V19 speaks of God’s goodness: “Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men”. This fear is a reverential fear of who God is. The Christian is to trust in the Lord before the unsaved, the “sons of men” This is not easy to do, but we have to trust and say “Lord, this is in your hands.”.

David closes Psalm 31 with encouragement. V24 “Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.”
____________________
vcg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..