Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Creation: Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

One of the best animal sightings in Jasper National Park is the Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep.  They always travel in a herd, either ewes with lambs or rams before the rutting season begins.  They don't seem to have any fear of people or traffic.  I have seen a large herd of females at a parking lot at the side of Medicine Lake intermingling with adults and children.  People forget that they are wild and that they could do a lot of damage.  Once I was sitting by myself on a rock at the same parking lot and I was approached by a ewe that licked my hands and my jeans.  All I could think of was how easily she could have butted me into the lake far below.  Quite often they are seen around Talbot Lake and Athabaska Lake which are across from each other with the highway to Edmonton between the lakes.  It is very scary to see the herd galloping along the side of the highway with its speeding traffic, and then cross as one  when they think they can get away with it.

The photo below was taken from the car at the side of the highway, Talbot Lake in the background with its beautiful color. There were many more sheep in this herd but I focused on these.  The lake and the sheep are  beautiful examples of God's creation..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..